Saturday, November 17, 2012

A Biblical Approach to Our Homeschool

This is our 20th year of homeschooling and for the most part there has been a sudo Biblical aspect in each year. First by using a Christian curriculum from Bob Jones or Abeka. Mentioning God or adding a Bible verse here and there through out the curriculum did not make it a real Biblical curriculum. Although both had great teaching and the content was moral, my children never got a good solid Biblical education. I knew I needed to do something and for a few years hopped around from curriculum to curriculum hoping to find one that gave me what I wanted. This year I have had a stronger pull in trying to get us more into the Bible then ever before but not knowing exactly HOW to go about it. I want something that will be multi grade level as well as for Hubby and myself. I am excited that hubby is behind this and even agreed to doing a family Bible study which we will begin in January (I am still trying to find exactly what would work for us, looking at Kay Arther's How to Study the Bible or Beth Moore's Daniel study, but still looking). I still want to get a more Bible centered course of study for Emma and Daniel. While at the library I decided to look at the homeschool books and was shocked to find The Biblical Homeschool Education by Ruth Beechick. This is a liberal town that has a great public library but it lacks in Biblical material. I just started reading it and believe THIS is what I was looking for. It explains how to get the Bible study back into a cross curriculuar way as well as multi grade level ways. Best part is it looks like something I would be interested in applying too.

For now I have been having Emma learn the names of Jesus, one a week. She should be finished this by January. She will then begin to go through the Kay Arther books for kids. This will be in combination with the Sonlight Bible from core D (when she begins it in July) and adding in a more Biblical approach to her studies as per Ruth Beechicks book recommends.

Daniel has been using Mystery of History for the second year and I think it is very good at showing Biblical events/people/places with in World History. We will continue this curriculum but add in Sonlight core 100 next year. They have daily Bible readings, a few Bible/life application books, and extensive notes so students get a Biblical view of history. I will then add in Ruth Beechick's method across the curriculum.

With daily immersions in Bible study/view and weekend family Bible study time, I believe will begin our family journey into a Biblical education. I, myself, will be doing Bible study as the children study the Bible and am looking at my daily life to see how to incorporate a more Biblical lifestyle. Knowing what I know from the Bible and seeing the status of the World and where we as a people are headed, I feel it is imperative to get our families eyes on God and walking in his ways. As we wait for His return we must know without doubt what God's promises for his people are. Prices rise, laws are twisted and logic is in short supply. For us to be set apart from this and keep our eyes on God is of utmost importance. Only those who can do this will prosper as the world suffers. For us as a family we will not be victims of false teachings and "frog in a pot" mentalities. We will live according to God's word and draw closer to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment