Saturday, May 18, 2013

Our week continued (part 2)

Monday we had scheduled a reading evaluation for Emma. Not that I feel there are problems, but I thought it would be good to have in her file. Since Em woke up with a sore throat (which means she will not talk AT ALL) I am rescheduling it. I am curious how it will go and will talk more on it once we get her evaluated.

Once Emma was feeling better we were able to catch up with most of the work.We finished up the BJU Math curriculum and won't start the next book until July or August but we are using the  week by week math essentials I have mentioned before. Emma enjoyed the more relaxed math as well as the game we played. I thought it was a great way to review time. Each player gets a clock set to 8:00 and then you take turns spinning the paperclip to see how much time to add to your clock. The first player to get to 12:00 wins.
 Each week there is a different game to play. Last last the game was adding doubles on a tic tac toe board. This week the focus was on place values and time. One of the fun place value review activities was to find 10 numbers in the newspaper that had 3 digits, cut them out and put them in order from least to greatest. At first Emma thought she needed to find numbers that were hundreds but I explained that any number with 3 digits could be used, such as money ($1.99) and time (9:30), even area codes. After that she found more then enough.

We finally started the Artistic Pursuit book ...
K-3 book 2

I was a little disappointed with the fact it is similar to the layout as book 1. Learn an artist and then draw/paint something. I thought it was more like the older books which will teach you about an artist and then focus in on a specific art technique or term. Another thing was the artist and his work had nothing to do with the actual project (unlike the books for the older student). After learning about the start of guilds and art guilds we learned about how they would make pictures on a base board covered with different types of cloth, the project was to draw where you live. I didn't see the connection. Emma didn't care, she just wanted to know if she had to draw the actual place she lived. I told her to draw what she wanted as long as it was a dwelling of some kind...past, present, future, or even fantasy type. She choose to draw a mushroom house. The drawing is quite nice with a setting sun sitting behind the mushroom house. She is painting it in stages and I will post a picture of the finished work later.

We are almost finished explorers and with great excitement on Emma's part, we have started Native Americans and the AG books.
The Welcome book is our spine since we are not using the Landmark book SL uses. I am very impressed with these books.  I am covering 2 two page spreads each school day. This particular book is talking about the Nez Perce people so not all Native Americans are being covered but it gives a very detailed account of life for them back in 1764. For info on other groups we are getting library books on NI and skimming them, talking about similar and differences, and seeing where they were located. I am still trying to find a good craft idea book for Indian crafts and also on the Maya, Inca, and Aztec people. This weekend I hope to find a good source at the library.
Meet Kaya is the first of 6 books about Kaya and I am hoping to get to each of them. There is so much information in these books, I am very impressed. Emma was so absorbed with the reading of the Whip Woman and how all the children get whipped if one does wrong that she did not want it to end.
I had originally wanted some sort of lapbook or notebook type of out put for our study on Native Americans, but with all the other lapbooks Emma is working on I figured to just let her enjoy this. Some of the AG dolls will cover periods that the Time Traveler CDs covers so we will have overlap there as well as actual physical output and that will be good enough.
Now for the highlight of our week, at least in Emma's eyes....she got her first mini AG doll. Please meet Kaya...
After reading about the Houses the Nez Perse build and how the little girls build play ones for their dolls, Emma decided to build one (with a little help)...
I think we are going to have to improve the design as well as make it bigger if she plans on using it during our Indian study.

Friday evening Emma was telling her dad all she did in school and then she let me know just how much she is loving this year. Makes my heart swell.


No comments:

Post a Comment