Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Hat complete

New, longer ties added and the hat has been blocked. It is sitting on my desk drying.
Soon as it is dried I am putting it in hubby's drawer and not mentioning it till the freezing temps hit. By then he will be out of luck on any changes he wants made because any knitting time I have will be towards the Christmas gifts I have planned.

This weekend I decided the den book case needed something more then tea pots and tea cups. I pulled out some of my yarn stash and with the help of Emma, who handed me the yarn, I added it to the bookcase along with my knitting books.
The glass hen in front of my yarn holds little yarn balls. This is left over yarn that is just not enough to really do anything with but make cute little balls. I will say this though, I have gone to those little yarn balls quite often for this and that. Turns out they are very useful. On the middle shelf to the left is a tiny gray mouse. I knitted him for my Grandmother (Granny) but think he is so cute I am going to make one for myself. Dan wants me to knit a cat to go with it...I just might. Saw this book  Knit your Own Cat and the cats in it are adorable.
After arranging everything on the shelves I noticed the metal book end just did not go, it kept drawing my eye and screaming BORING. So I grabbed some left over yarn from my stash and cast on. Figured a cute cozy for the book end would fit in perfectly with all the other knitting stuff.
I think it came out just right but Emma asked why I had to use old lady colors. This is her new thing, flinging words like old fashioned and vintage about. She claimed I was old fashioned because I found this great trunk at a used store. Said I should buy more modern stuff, not everything needed to look so vintage (said with a tone and attitude). Also only old people use trunks to store their stuff...this is according to her. I think the trunk looks perfect and will store the yarn stash not on the bookcase plus room for more yarn. I added a lining since it is wood inside and did not want my yarn to get picked.

I have one more week of summer vacation before my time is not my own and I want to finish adding pockets to the vest I made Emma last year. It is a hooded vest with a rhinestone zipper, but it has no pockets so Emma did not wear it. I spent $20 for the zipper plus the price of the pattern and the yarn makes this a very expensive vest..she better wear it this year or else. My mittens and a shrug are also on my list. Bought a green yarn for the mittens and the shrug will be made with stash yarn I have had for over 5 years now...time to move that stuff out . I figure if I use some stash yarn then I won't be guilty bringing in new yarn and it is a good point to make when asking hubby if I can go yarn shopping. Need all the help I can get on that front.


No comments:

Post a Comment